The Effects of 10 Weeks Concurrent Aerobic and Strength Exercise on Quality of Life and Resilience of Kidney Transplant Patients
Background: Kidney transplant patients are exposed to a lot of different infectious on diseases because of long usage of suppressing immune system drugs. Quality of life (QoL) is generally found to improve for renal transplant recipients, although some patients continue to experience health-related problems. Kidney transplant is the selected treatment of chronic kidney disease and it improves life quality and resilience. Objective: To evaluate The Effects of 10 Weeks Concurrent Aerobic and Strength Exercise on Quality of Life and Resilience of Kidney Transplant Patients. Methods: forty four renal transplant recipients were selected to participate in the study and randomized into exercise (n=29) and control (n=15) groups. The exercise group participated in a cumulative exercise pro¬gram 3 days a week for 10 weeks in 60–90-minute exercise sessions. Control group subjects did not participate in any regular exercise activity during this period. For measuring the variable of this research; the resilience scale of Cano and Davidson (2003) and questionnaire which measured quality of life (SF-36) measured before and after 10 weeks of exercise training. Data analysis was conducted using t-tests. Results: quality of life and resilience values were significantly increased after 10 weeks of exercise training in the exercise group relative to control (P<0.05). Conclusion: ten weeks of selected low-intensity exercise can be an effective measure to improve the quality of life and resilience in renal transplant patients.
Keywords: Concurrent, Aerobic and Strength Exercise, Quality of Life, Resilience, Kidney Transplant Patients
2. Ghods AJ, Savaj S. Iranian model of paid and regulated living-unrelated kidney donation. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2006;1(6):1136-45.
3. Pooranfar S, Shakoor E, Shafahi M, Salesi M, Karimi M, Roozbeh J, et al. The Effect of Exercise Training on Quality and Quantity of Sleep and Lipid Profile in Renal Transplant Patients: A Randomized Clinical Trial. International journal of organ transplantation medicine. 2014;5(4):157.
4. Haghighi AN, Broumand B, D'Amico M, Locatelli F, Ritz E. The epidemiology of end‐stage renal disease in Iran in an international perspective. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2002;17(1):28-32.
5. Mohajer M. The survey of psychosocial change in-patient before and after renal transplantation in Taleghami and Shahid Hashemi Nejad hospitals. Res Med. 2002;28(2):3135-40.
6. Poorghaznein T, Ghafari F. The survey of relation between hopeless and self-steam in kidney transplant recipients in Emam Reza hospital in Mashhad (2001-2002). Yazd Univ Med Sci J. 2005;13(1):57-61.
7. Longo D, Fauci A, Kasper D, Hauser S. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 18th edition: McGraw-Hill Professional; 2011.
8. Harirchi A, Rasooli A, Montazeri A, Eghlima M. Comparison quality of life in hemodialysis patients and kidney transplanting patients. Payesh J. 2004;3(2):117-21.
9. Masoudi Alavi N, Sharifi K, Aliakbarzadeh Z. Depression and anxiety in patients undertaken renal replacement therapy in Kashan during 2008. KAUMS Journal (FEYZ). 2009;12(4):46-51.
10. Shrestha A, Vallance C, McKane W, Shrestha B, Raftery A, editors. Quality of life of living kidney donors: a single-center experience. Transplantation proceedings; 2008: Elsevier.
11. Ogutmen B, Yildirim A, Sever M, Bozfakioglu S, Ataman R, Erek E, et al., editors. Health-related quality of life after kidney transplantation in comparison intermittent hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, and normal controls. Transplantation proceedings; 2006: Elsevier.
12. Virzi A, Signorelli M, Veroux M, Giammarresi G, Maugeri S, Nicoletti A, et al., editors. Depression and quality of life in living related renal transplantation. Transplantation proceedings; 2007: Elsevier.
13. Rahimi A, Ahmadi F, Gholyaf M. The Effects of continuous care model on depression, anxiety, and stress in patients on hemodialysis. Nephrology nursing journal. 2008;35(1):39.
14. Masten AS, Cutuli J, Herbers JE, Reed M-G. 12 Resilience in Development. Oxford handbook of positive psychology. 2009:117.
15. Luthar SS. Resilience in development: A synthesis of research across five decades. 2006.
16. Bogar CB, Hulse-Killacky D. Resiliency determinants and resiliency processes among female adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Journal of Counseling and Development: JCD. 2006;84(3):318.
17. Bosworth HB, Bartash RM, Olsen MK, Steffens DC. The association of psychosocial factors and depression with hypertension among older adults. International journal of geriatric psychiatry. 2003;18(12):1142-8.
18. Vasiuk I, Nesterova E, Dovzhenko T, Kozina A, Sadulaeva I, Tarasova K. [Modern antidepressants in complex management of patients with hypertension and concomitant affective disorders]. Kardiologiia. 2003;44(8):72-9.
19. Lippi G, Schena F, Salvagno G, Tarperi C, Montagnana M, Gelati M, et al. Acute variation of estimated glomerular filtration rate following a half-marathon run. International journal of sports medicine. 2008;29(12):948-51.
20. Heydarnejad S, Dehkordi AH. The effect of an exercise program on the health-quality of life in older adults. Dan Med Bull. 2010;57(4):113-7.
21. Painter PL, Hector L, Ray K, Lynes L, Paul SM, Dodd M, et al. Effects of exercise training on coronary heart disease risk factors in renal transplant recipients. American journal of kidney diseases. 2003;42(2):362-9.
22. Baria F, Kamimura MA, Aoike DT, Ammirati A, Rocha ML, de Mello MT, et al. Randomized controlled trial to evaluate the impact of aerobic exercise on visceral fat in overweight chronic kidney disease patients. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2014;29(4):857-64.
23. Sadeghi H, Shariat A, Asadmanesh E, Mosavat M. The Effects of core stability Exercise on the dynamic balance of volleyball players. International Journal of Applied Exercise Physiology. 2013;2(2):1-10.
24. Ali RS, Koushkie JM, Asadmanesh A, Salesi M. Influence of massage, active and passive recovery on swimming performance and blood lactate. The Journal of sports medicine and physical fitness. 2012;52(2):122-7.
25. Connor KM, Davidson JR. Development of a new resilience scale: The Connor‐Davidson resilience scale (CD‐RISC). Depression and anxiety. 2003;18(2):76-82.
26. Overbeck I, Bartels M, Decker O, Harms J, Hauss J, Fangmann J, editors. Changes in quality of life after renal transplantation. Transplantation proceedings; 2005: Elsevier.
27. Tugade MM, Fredrickson BL. Resilient individuals use positive emotions to bounce back from negative emotional experiences. Journal of personality and social psychology. 2004;86(2):320.
28. Luthar SS, Cicchetti D. The construct of resilience: Implications for interventions and social policies. Development and psychopathology. 2000;12(04):857-85.