The effect of an 8-week Period of Endurance Exercise on the Quality of Life and Body mass index in Male Smokers
Background: The aim of the study was to measure the effect of an 8-week period of endurance exercise on the quality of life and BMI of male smokers.Materials and Methods: Among the cigarette addicted men referred to the center to quit smoking, 20 subjects were selected through convenience sampling and were randomly divided into two groups of experimental (n = 10) (mean age: 34.33 ± 5.07 years and BMI: 25.41 ± 3.55 kg/m2) and the control group (n = 10) (mean age: 32.10 ± 4.81 years and BMI: 27.26 ± 66 kg/m2). Weight, height and the BMI were measured before and after the 8-week exercise program by using WHOQOL-BREF questionnaires. The endurance exercise included an 8-week training program (3 sessions each week, and 60 minutes each session) which included running with the intensity of 75% MHR. Intensity of exercise was controlled through maximum heart rate and the formula (220_ age). The intensity and duration of exercise increased in each session. The data analysis was done using the variance analysis method for repetitive data and the independent T-test. Findings: The results showed that after the completion of the Endurance exercise program, the quality of life of the smoking men improved and increased significantly (P < 0.001). Their BMI significantly decreased (P < 0.01) while changes in these indices were not significant for the control group. Conclusion: The results showed that 8 weeks of Endurance exercise resulted in significant changes in the quality of life and BMI of male smokers.
Keywords: Endurance exercise, quality of life, Body Mass Index (BMI), Male smokers
2. World Health Organization. WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2008. Geneva: The Institute.
3. Rendu F, Peoc’h K, Berlin I, Thomas D, Launay J-M. (2011). Smoking related diseases: the central role of monoamine oxidase. International journal of environmental research and public health.8(1):136-147
4. Emamghoreishi M, Bokaee H, Keshavarz M. (2009). CYP2A6 genetic polymorphism and its relation to risk of smoking dependence in male Iranians.Physiology and Pharmacology.12(4):296-306
5. Ambrose J, Barua R. (2004). The pathophysiology of cigarette smoking and cardiovascular disease an update. Journal of the American College of Cardiology.43(10):173
6. World Health Organization (WHO).Constitution of the world health organization. Geneva: WHO; (1948)
7. Castro M, Matsuo T, Nunes S. (2010). Clinical characteristics and quality of life of smokers at a referral center for smoking cessation. A study carried out at Londrina state University Londrina. Brazil J Bars Pneumol. 36(1): 67-74
8. Ostby T, Taylor D.(2004). The effect of smoking on years of healthy life lost among middle-aged and older Americans. Health serv Res. 39: 531-552.
9. Mcclave A, Dube S, Strine T, Mokdad A. (2009).Associations between health-related quality of life and smoking status among a large sample of U.S.adults. prev Med. 48: 173-179
10. Maxweel C, Hirdes J. (1993). The prevalence of smoking and implications for quality of life among the community-based elderly.Am J Prev Med. 9: 338-345.
11. Schmitz N, Kruse J, Kugler J. (2003). Disabilities, quality of life, and mental disorders, associated with smoking and nicotine dependence. Am J Psychiatry. 160: 1670-1676.
12. Brach G, Simiosick C, Krichevsty S.(2002). The association between physical function and life style activity and quality of life. J Am Geriatr Scio. 50(11): 401-416.
13. Brady T, Kruger J, Helmick C, Callahan L, Boutaugh M.(2003). Intervention programs for arthritis and other rheumatic diseases. Health AideBehav. 30(1): 44-63
14. Greenberg A, Obin M. (2006). Obesity and the role of adipose tissue in inflammation and metabolism.Am J ClinNutr. 83(2): 461-465.
15. Mathieu P, Poirier P, Pibarot P, Lemieux I, Despres J. (2009). Visceral obesity: the link among inflammation, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease. Hypertention. 53(4): 577-584.
16. Kelley G, Kelley K.(2008). Effects of aerobic exercise on non-HDL-C in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Prog.CardiovascNurs. 23(3): 128-132.
17. Polak J, Klimcakova E, Moro C, Viguerie N, Berlan M, Hejnova J, et al. (2006). Effect of aerobic training on plasma levels and subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue gene expression of adiponectin, leptin, interleukin 6, and tumor necrosis factor alpha in abese woman.Metabolism. 55: 1375-1381
18. Okura T, Nakata Y, Lee D, Ohkawara K, Tanaka K. (2005) Effect of aerobic exersice and abesityphenotyp on abdominal fat reduction in response to weight loss. Int J Obes. 29: 1259-1266 .
19. Dundar P, fidaner C, fidaner H, oral A, Esers, Atman U, Pala T. (2002): comparing the turkish versions of the WHOQOL- BREF and SF-36: convergent validity of WHOQOL- BREF anal SF-36. HIPPOKRATIA, 1: 37-43.
20. Carolyn L, Rochester (2003). Exercise training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development.40: 59-80.
21. Maryam kh, SeyedMorteza T, Hamed S. (2013).Sigle and Concurrent Effects of Endurance and Resistance Training on Pulmonary Function.Iranian journal of Basic Medical Sciences. 16: 628-634.
22. Lahti-koski M. (2007). Body Mass Index and Obesity Among Adults in Finland. Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion National Public Health Institute and Department of Public Health.
23. Morissette S, Brown T, Kamholz B, Gulliver S. (2006). Differences between smokers and nonsmokers with anxiety disorders.J Anxiety Disord. 20: 597-613.
24. Woolf-May K, Bird S, Davy P, Fallows J. (2006). Exercise prescription: physiological foundations a guide for health, sport and exercise professionals. USA: Churchill Livingstone.
25. Vandernet J, Vos R, Engelbert R, Vandenberg M, Helders P, Takken T.(2006). Physical fitness, functional ability and quality of life in children with severe haemophilia.Haemophilia; 12: 494-499.
26. Hamidizadeh S, Ahmadi F, Aslani Y, EtemadifarSH,Salehi K, Kordyazdi R. (2007). The effect of an exercise program on the health-quality of life in older adults.Iranin Journal Of Aging; 16(1): 81-86.
27. Elsawy B, Higgins K.(2010). Physical activity guidelines for older adult.Aafp; 81 (50)
28. Goldfarb A, Jamurtas A.(1997) β-Endorphin response to exercise. Sports Medicine.;24(1):8-16.
29. Kajbafnezhad H, Ahadi H, Heidarie A, Askari P, Enayati M.(2011). Difference between team and individual sports with respect to psychological skills, overall emotional intelligence and athletic success motivation in Shiraz city athletes. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research.;1(11):1904-1909.